Dec 9, 2014
Oct 22, 2014
Nov 6, 2013
The parents, both 44 and residents of Austria for 26 years, had paid the poverty-stricken Bosnian girl's parents 2,500 euros ($3,400) in 2011 to arrange the marriage to their 17-year-old son, the Korneuburg prosecutors' spokesman said on Wednesday.
The girl shared a bedroom with her husband at the family home in the town of Gaenserndorf, near Vienna, became pregnant within weeks and went back home to have the child.
The accused told the court they were unaware they were breaking the law but pleaded guilty. They have lodged an appeal. ($1 = 0.7421 euros)
Feb 2, 2012
- GOD, give us men! A time like this demands
- Strong minds, great hearts, true faith and ready hands;
- Men whom the lust of office does not kill;
- Men whom the spoils of office can not buy;
- Men who possess opinions and a will;
- Men who have honor; men who will not lie;
- Men who can stand before a demagogue
- And damn his treacherous flatteries without winking!
- Tall men, sun-crowned, who live above the fog
- In public duty, and in private thinking;
- For while the rabble, with their thumb-worn creeds,
- Their large professions and their little deeds,
- Mingle in selfish strife, lo! Freedom weeps,
- Wrong rules the land and waiting Justice sleeps.
- Josiah Gilbert Holland
Sep 16, 2011
Two years ago, Marine corporal Dakota Meyer charged five times into heavy enemy fire in Taliban-held areas in Afghanistan to aid fellow U.S. service members. Yesterday,President Obama awarded Meyer, 23, the Medal of Honor, the highest award given to members of the armed services. He’s just the third living veteran to receive the award for service in Afghanistan or Iraq and the first living Marine to be honored since 1973. When White House staff contacted him to arrange the ceremony, Meyer asked if he could have a beer with Obama, and the president invited him to the White House. On Wednesday Meyer had a beer with President Obama .